Floating Points


Floating Points
After the 2011 London Riots I had an idea and asked myself, how can my generation obtain a positive from such a negative situation?
With the abundance of OSB cladding vandalised streets, I sought an opportunity for some free material.

So after obtaining 6 sheets, I hired some time on a CNC cutter. The rest was history.

Constructed using 6 sheets of reclaimed OSB (from building sites) and 40 x500mm (length) of hand sawn kiln timber battening that slot into the facades of the unit.
Floating points can be constructed using no screws or fixings. I wanted something that could be constructed simply and therefore I thought it was best to use one detail.
The project was driven by a small budget and the need to create storage in a very minimal interior space.



The challenge was to create storage that almost becomes an installation or a focal point in the space.  Therefore I felt creating the proportions of the storage apertures was key. I spent a lot of time obtaining ergonomic and anthropometric information to make sure the sizing of the openings wasn’t just functional but also worked in elevation and didn’t compromise the structure of the project.
The design was conceived to be adaptable as the CAD file used can be modified dependant on the users storage needs. Once modified the file can be uploaded to a CNC machine and cut.
I chose OSB because I wanted to use a material that durable and was readily available for little or no expense and could be cut using a CNC machine.
The other influence for my choice was the fact that OSB does not require a finish (just wax to prevent splintering) as it is aesthetically it is engaging to look at. It has a richness to it. Which contrasted with the internal finish of the whitewashed space (assisting to create that focal point I was trying to achieve).
Credits
Photography is from Gabriel Fayika.